Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Life" for Blue Fern Studios

I'm so very excited to have my first post up at the Blue Fern Studios Blog.   I really like to take a piece of chipboard and transform it into something that will either blend in with my layout, or stand out.  It can go either way.  On this layout, I chose to alter the chipboard to tie in with the dress my granddaughter wore to homecoming last year.


I prefer to prime chipboard with a light coat of Gesso.  I apply it with my finger for a couple of reasons - I hate to clean Gesso from my brushes, and I can control it better with my finger and avoid applying too much.  When I am applying Gesso to chipboard, I typically prime several pieces at one time.  I then applied some Tim Holtz Tarnished Brass Distress Stain.  It was a little heavy, so I used a baby wipe to remove some of it while it was still wet.  Lastly, using my finger, I randomly applied some Stampin' Up All Purpose Ink in Frost White.  It was just the color I wanted.  I used a Viva Pearl Pen to add the pearls. 


The background of this layout is the beautiful packaging from the Blue Fern Frame.  The packaging for this frame is a full 12x12 sheet with a lovely blue design.  Don't ever throw away your packaging because you will want to use it on a future project.  The paper is from the new Kaiser Craft line, Marigold.  

This is the beautiful piece of chipboard that I used on this layout, the Floral Clock


Thanks for stopping by!

~~~Valerie

2 comments:

Keren Tamir said...

Beautiful Valerie. Love the way u matched the background shape to the chipboard shape

Davi said...

Beautiful LO Love the way you used the packaging as part of the design. The soft vintage look really shows off the photo :)